Dietary nitrates, which are found in large quantities in beetroot, leafy greens and rhubarb, have been shown to reduce the oxygen cost of exercise and improve cycling TT performance. To read more about this please see our blog “Beet your best this season“. (Read it over a cup of tea and a large slice of Beetroot Walnut & Cocoa Loaf).
300g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
100g grated apple
1 Cup of oat bran
80g chopped walnuts
30g almond meal
40g cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Set oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Spray a 25x10cm loaf tin with Extra Virgin olive oil.
- In a large bowl evenly mix together grated beetroot, apple, oat bran, walnuts, almond meal and cocoa powder.
- In a separate mixing bowl mash the banana, crack in three eggs and mix briskly with a fork. Add vanilla essence.
- Pour wet ingredients into beetroot mixture and stir until even.
- Spoon mixture into loaf tin. Bake for 35-45mins.