This recipe is the first in a series of 20 min plant-based meals that will appear over the next few months. In an ideal world without training, work, or other family commitments I would grown the produce in my own garden and boiled the blackbeans and quinoa from scratch. Having chosen to run my own practice and train for endurance sports, there is no time for these other activities. These recipes offer shortcuts so that even the most time poor can enjoy a good array of nutritious veggies, as well as meals that are not short on taste. Feel free to take the longer way around if life permits!
2 medium-sized red capsicums
2 medium-sized yellow capsicums
1 small brown onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 Tbsp no added salt tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
250g packet 90 sec red quinoa
1-2 fresh hot chilli’s (adjust to taste), finely sliced
1 large avocado
Juice of 1 Lime
3 sprigs of fresh coriander, chopped
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 150° Cut the top off each capsicum (reserve) and scoop out the seeds. Place on a baking tray and spray with olive oil. Bake in moderate oven for 10mins whilst preparing the filling.
- Slice off edible capsicum from tops and dice. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add capsicum, onion, garlic, chilli, cumin, ground coriander and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add beans, packet of quinoa and can of tomatoes. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Remove capsicums from oven and fill evenly with mixture from the pan. Return to oven for approx 10 mins.
- In a small bowl mash avocado with lime juice and coriander.
- Serve capsicums topped with guacamole.
Serves 4 people, or 2 athletes 🙂